The most important Way to keep your Carpets Clean
For most of us, vacuuming is the first, and most essential, step in maintaining our carpet. Remember, a little preventative work on your behalf will go a long way in the long run. Let’s make sure we can make the most of your precious time, and get your carpets cleaned efficiently. Follow the guidelines below to ensure that you vacuum more effectively and keep your carpet cleaner longer!
- You should vacuum your carpets at least once a week, and more often in areas of high traffic. Frequent vacuuming prevents a buildup of dirt and dust that would otherwise cut the fibers in your carpet and prolongs the life of your carpet. Every so often, make sure to use your vacuum’s extension piece to clean around baseboards and other hard-to-reach areas.
- If you’ve got a large area of carpet to vacuum, try compartmentalizing that larger area into smaller, more manageable units. Make sure you clean each smaller unit thoroughly before moving on to the next.
- Take your time! One quick pass with your vacuum is not enough to deep clean your carpet (no matter what your vacuum commercial says). Slowly move your vacuum over the area to let the suction really suck up that embedded dirt and particles.
In heavy traffic areas, use an overlapping criss cross pattern to make sure you get to the dirt and grime.
- Soil and dirt retardants like “Scotchgard” can be used on new and recently cleaned carpets, but remember to read the manufacture’s instructions very carefully before you apply anything that might harm your carpet. As alluded to above, a little preventative work on your behalf will go a long way.
- If you have a vacuum cleaner that uses a vacuum bag, feel free to add a little baking soda in the bag to combat odors. If you have a bag-less vacuum cleaner, you can sprinkle a little baking soda on your carpet before you vacuum.
As you can see, there are numerous ways to improve upon the time-tested approach of just mindlessly “pushing” the old vacuum around your home. We hope you can use the above guidelines to make the most of your busy schedule and begin vacuuming quickly and efficiently. Again, if you stick to a strict vacuuming regimen, your carpet will thank you and reward you with long-lasting use! Best of luck as you endeavor to keep your carpets in tip top shape!